Monday, April 19, 2021

Wolverine Jayhawk Build, Part 4, Screw Eye & Parachute

The screw eye is screwed into a dowel that you glued into the nose cone base. This makes a very strong screw eye attachment.

I placed some glue in the nose cone base hole and pressed the dowel into place. I didn't press it all the way in, I wanted to sand the dowel end flush with the base of the nose cone.
OOPS: After it was glued in I realized the dowel was glued in backwards! The drilled screws eye hole was inside the nose cone.
I knew I'd never get it back out, so another small hole was drilled for the screw eye attachment.



Eight parachute reinforcement discs are supplied, only six are needed.
I wanted to be sure these were plastic, permanent discs so I tried to tear one of the extra disks. It did rip, telling me it was a paper disk.

I'd prefer stronger disks, so I switched them out for Avery plastic disks.
The instructions tell you to place the disks 1/4" from the edge. I don't see any reason to do this. The table covering plastic can stretch if pulled, I put the disks closer to the corners.

TIP: Because of the stretch, the shroud line hole was punched close to the outside of the inner disk circle.

TIP: Some tablecloth covering plastic sheeting has a smooth side and a textured side. Attach your discs to the smooth side for better adhesion.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie,
      Well, BIGGER is always better!
      I've got smaller screw eyes, but just went with what was supplied in the kit.

      Delete
    2. Well, that'll certainly help CG a little :^)

      Delete