Friday, February 12, 2021

Estes Airborne Surveillance Missile Build, #0867, Part 1, Parts


The Airborne Surveillance Missile was introduced in the 1983 Estes catalog on the Mini-Brutes section. The first time around it was available until 1985. The reissue showed up again in 2018. 
While it looks like a two-stager, it uses a single 13mm engine.

I bet there are a few who picked this one up in the last Estes Cyber Monday sale.

All the parts seem to be of good quality. 
There are two sets of instructions. I'll use the set in English. (Hang on to the other set of instructions.)

Parts of interest:
You rarely see 1/16" thick balsa in a kit anymore.
I didn't know what size the yellow parachute was. I went to the Estes website to find the yellow print chute is 9" in diameter.
The nose cone has a really long shoulder. That'll have to be cut down a bit. I understand Estes had a lot of these "Midget" style balsa nose cones in their inventory. Five of those nose cones were used in each of the Estes SLV kits.
The decal sheet is all white! It's a good thing they are printed on a light blue backing sheet.

1 comment:

  1. I have this one built and ready to fly, but I haven't managed to call up the discipline needed to finish the sanding.

    ReplyDelete