Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Aerotech Mantis Launch Pad, Part 6, Final Adjustments




The four legs were taped together for shipping. 
The tape left some sticky gum, Goo-gone removed it with a paper towel.
With the two sides of the Adapter Disk together, I couldn't easily slide the 1/4" Launch Rod through and down into the Swing Arm base.

I opened up the rod slot with some 220 grit wrapped around the launch rod. Don't take off to much - you will want to keep a fairly tight fit.





Looking at the middle of the Swing Arm, notice the Launch Rod slides down through the middle and rests at the bottom of the assembly.







The leg holders have raised nubs for a friction fit when the legs are slid in.
My fit was a bit too tight so I filed down the raised dots. File, test the fit and file a bit more until the friction fit is workable.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this build, Chris. It really highlights the rich features of the Mantis, and how completely shabbily I built and used mine. It was sold off long ago and is surely better off far away from me and my ineptitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      I knew people that like this launcher, others don't care for it. I thought it was very heavy duty and well engineered - Lots of control over launch angles. If the angle "T" clip were to stress over time or break, you've got a second clip on the other side. Just flip it around.

      Delete
    2. The Mantis is a great pad, no question, and worth the price. Just was not a great fit for me.

      Delete