Friday, September 10, 2021

Estes Super Mars Snooper #7309, Build, Background

From the Estes Website:"
The Mars Snooper was originally released in 1965 and earned the cover of the first ever, full color Estes Catalogue in 1966! Now this beloved classic has received a rework, and is available again! We stayed true to the original in every way that matters. It is an expert build, as was the original. It’s large, like the original, and we made it even a little larger. The sleek and futuristic design was ahead of its time in 1966, even the concept of a nuclear-powered rocket was novel and barely discussed – we made sure to stay true to that. A nuclear powered rocket would be able to remain in space for years, maybe decades, but in 1966 a nuclear powered rocket was merely an exercise in fantasy. Today these technologies are being proven and developed. With this rocket, Estes looked to the future and dreamed of the rocket technology the world would see as the decades went on. It was envisioned as a research vessel, an unmanned probe that would do exhaustive research on one of moons of mars, Diemos. The model stands well over 2 feet tall, and it flies to 400 feet on a C11-3."

To see a blog post about the original design construction, CLICK HERE

That's me, getting a Mars Snooper ready for launch in the early 1970s. You'd think I would comb my hair for a picture. (I did have hair back then.)
I don't know why I picked those colors for the Snooper, blues and purples. Not my best choice.

My mother took this picture. We would drive onto our family ranch property and find an area that didn't have much growing on it. Those are Brussel Sprouts in the background. Today strawberries take up the bulk of 175 acres.

Interesting Rocketry Story about my Grandparent's ranch - 
In 1969 California, you couldn't easily purchase model rocket engines. Your flying field had to be approved by a representative from the State Fire Marshall's office.
My Mother made a few calls to Sacramento (the state capitol) and got ahold of the Fire Marshall office. They agreed to send someone down to check out the proposed flying field.
As it turned out - the Asst. State fire Marshall, a Mr. Mullin approved the Ranch and gave us a permit. 
At first we didn't notice - it was an "all encompassing" permit to launch, buy and sell engines! I could have opened up a hobby store and sold rockets and engines.
At NARAM 60 I told this story to Dane Boles. He seemed surprised. He said there was only two of those permits issued in California, mine and his! Dane worked with West Covina Recreation heading up the Model Rocketry Education Department before being hired by Estes Industries.
The actual kit build starts tomorrow . . . 

4 comments:

  1. Cool story about your permit and looking forward to the build.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered one of these, looking forward to see the build Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I know that California has a reputation for red tape but didn't realize that model rocketry was restricted so heavily back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jimmy,
      I would imagine the Fireworks and Fire restrictions are even tougher now. I've found that Florida, California and other States I've lived in all have "red tape" regarding permits of any kind. That just shows that some idiot didn't follow guidelines and screwed it up for the rest of us.

      Delete