Thursday, September 30, 2021

Estes Super Mars Snooper #7309, Build Part 19, Black On Lower Body

I thought I would have more control spraying the engine vanes area separately.  There are a lot of inside surfaces that needed to get black paint coverage. 
The upper shroud (between the fins) is also black and will be painted afterwards.

With Florida Summer humidity, the gloss black dried flat on the shroud areas. 


Sometimes you can polish up a humid dull finish to a shinier surface.

Some automotive polishing compound was applied and rubbed of with a Q-tip.
Any remaining white residue was brushed out with a chip brush.

Here's the Scotch tape mask on the upper shroud.












The rest of the fins and pods were covered with tape and plastic grocery bags. 
I also covered the lower vanes area with a tape mask (not shown here) so it would remain polished and shiny. Sometimes overspray can dull a finish gloss.

2 comments:

  1. Chris,

    After a summer of experiments with various brands of paint, I have come to believe that the humidity (I live in Savannah) has less to do with the way gloss paint dries than the brand of paint does. I have sprayed gloss black from Testors cans at the same time (within minutes) of spraying with Krylon and Rustoleum gloss black (on similarly prepped models and had them all dry differently. The Testors would dry like glass, the Krylon would haze a bit and the Rustoleum would haze a lot. I found this to be true across different colors of the same brand—black, navy, red and white. I also found that if I spray gloss black from a Krylon can into a jar and then respray it onto a model through a Badger spray gun (with no additional mixing), I get perfect glossy finishes! So, I have no real idea what’s happening. Maybe it has something to do with the way the paint is atomizing as it mixes with the propellant in the can. Any chemists out there want to weigh in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rraeford,
      Thanks for writing and sharing your test results.
      I thought maybe I cracked the code by checking the humidity levels - that seems to have helped on certain colors.
      It also seems, the cheaper the paint, the more humidity fogging occurs.
      Very interesting about spraying the Krylon in a jar and using your Badger airbrush!
      I always look forward to the Winter season when temps are cooler and finishes are glossier.

      Delete