Thursday, December 21, 2023

Estes Great Goblin, #9724 Build, Part 7, Rounding Fins

This was a bit confusing.
There is an arrow pointing to and saying to round the leading edges of the fin. Leading edges? There's only one leading edge. The back is the trailing edge. 
The root and outside edges have a dashed line. Sand edges even. I assume that means to sand them square.

The old BT-55 based Goblin kit has you round the leading and trailing edges. That's what I'm going to do.


The forward fin shows the brushed on coat of CWF.

The fin in the back has the CWF sanded smooth. The pencil lines show where I need to apply more CWF and re-sand. 
Ideally, you should have left a thin skin of CWF after sanding. The pencil outlined areas were sanded down to the bare balsa.



TIP: To reduce saw dust -  
I sand in my lap, over on old dish towel. 

As I go I wipe the fin and sandpaper block off onto the towel. This traps most of the saw dust until I can shake it off outside.

1 comment:

  1. They are probably referring to all 4 fins when they mention leading edges.

    ReplyDelete