Monday, March 25, 2024

Estes Skytracer Clone #1361 Build, Part 10, The Canopy




I used the canopy pattern drawn up by Greg Poehlein.
You can use this cardstock pattern to make the proper canopy on a Crossfire style nose cone.
To see it: CLICK HERE

Excuse the distortion in the picture, that upper horizontal line is straight, not tipped down.
TIP: Before cutting out the canopy - 
Pre-emboss the tow long fold lines and the short glue tab. You won't be able to get a sharp fold if you cut out the piece first.

I go old school, a smooth tip (not serrated) butter knife and straight edge. This embossed line method goes back to the old Estes Saturn 1B cardstock fins. 

I cut out the long sides with a straightedge and knife. The rounded sides were rolled over using scissors.

The rounded sides were cleaned up by sanding on a piece of 400 grit.







I started coaxing the folds setting the lines directly on top of the edges of my triangular engineers scale.

A Sharpie barrel was pressed down onto the fold line.

Continued in the next post . . .

4 comments:

  1. Never figured to use the triangle rulers. I'll try this idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill,
      Like I wrote, the top of the triangular ruler will "coax" and start a good sharp line. It's difficult to get a straight and sharp crease especially on the outside corner ends.

      Delete
    2. I've been using a meta ruler. Placing the fold area along the ruler edge. Sometimes it doesn't work.

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris, the triangle ruler is a great tip! I have a handful in my desk at work!

    ReplyDelete