Sunday, March 10, 2024

New Way Nike Ajax Build, Part 22, Finished






This is a tall one at 30.75" tall.
A good semi-scale representation.





The tunnels are hard to grain fill, the space is tight with 12 fins and four long tunnels.

I sprayed a dull coat to visually hide some fillets that were rougher than I liked.




The interstage portion with the black band decal simulating a gap between the stages.
The white decals work well if placed over a clear gloss coat. After the decals dry, follow up with a dull coat and the clear areas of the decals should dissapear.

 
The Nike style flat fins, built as shown in the instructions.
Interesting that the two piece fins are glued together at the mid point, the same centerline where a true diamond taper would start.

6 comments:

  1. Looks Great! thanks for the tips. I wished I cut my black vinyl stripe like you did. I had a time putting it on. Mine is a clone using plans from JimZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill,
      The interstage band was a water slide. I cut it into thirds, I didn't want to risk it as it may have been thin.

      Delete
  2. Outstanding job on this Ajax. Not an easy build you made it look easy! I did a scratch build of the classic Nike Ajax using the Estes plans. New Way makes a fine kit hope they set the bar and release the Hercules one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      It is a great kit - Only concern - a little hard to get fillets smooth with the close upper fins and long tunnels. But, it was the same on the original Estes kit.

      Delete
  3. Right now, I am laughing so hard at myself......
    I looked at your beautiful work and was thinking... is the paint scheme right on your model???? Then I went to mine which I had built in 1982 and painted sometime in 1983 and notice mine is different. So who is right? Googled pictures for the Nike Ajax and come to find out that I painted it wrong. My top sections in olive green and the booster is white :-O I was probably thinking the Nike boosters were usually painted in white. But not on the Nike Ajax... nope. No wonder I never applied the white decals on the white booster.
    HAHA on me :-)

    ReplyDelete