Friday, December 3, 2010

MicroMaxx Launch Rod Standoff TIP


In the past, there have been forum posts about how to adapt a MicroMaxx sized launch rod to a standard launcher.

Quest sells a MMX launcher, but it is their standard "Lift-Off " launcher with adapters to accommodate the smaller rockets and igniters.

Sometimes a simple solution is best.
Brian Coyle, our Orlando NAR section President, first showed me this idea. I believe it's based on an adapter design from Jim Flis. Other modelers have variations on the same theme.

I use it every time I fly a MicroMaxx rocket.


It's an engine casing with a launch lug on one side. Directly on the other side is a 12" long MicroMaxx launch rod. Both are held in place with thick CA and a wrap or two of electrical tape.

Simply slide the lug over the 1/8" rod already in place on your launcher. Slide your MMX rocket down the 12" standoff rod and connect up the clips. No "Z" bend rod is necessary!

I can go back and forth between standard engines and MicroMaxx engines by sliding off the standoff. When it's not in use, I stick the rod into the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment