Thursday, April 18, 2013

Quest X-30 Aerospace Plane Part 12, Fillet, Fit and Edge Paint

The instructions recommend Aileen's Super Tacky Glue for the shroud.
I've heard that Aileen's glue was G. Harry Stine's favorite for rocket building. The instructions state: "White glue will cause the paper shroud to wrinkle."
I could only find Aileen's Super Thick Tacky Glue. It worked fine without any wrinkles.

Here I'm applying a fillet on the rear bulkhead joint with a rounded dowel and a Q-Tip to pick up any excess.
The bulkhead is recessed too far in to smooth the fillet with a fingertip.



This is the nose cone fit as best I could get it.
You can see the soft molded corner at the nose cone base starting to flare out.
The fin edges were filled earlier.

A glove kept the paint off my hand while the primer filler was sprayed.
I aimed directly at the edge and no primer got on the flat surfaces.

The inset picture shows the launch lug ready for primer.
Two toothpicks gave me a short handle to hold while spraying.

No comments:

Post a Comment