Friday, June 21, 2013

Custom PONG Build Part 7, Fin and Dowel Prep



The fins and lug stand-offs are centered between the ends of the BT-50 sections.
After all the fin lines were marked the primer was sanded off, not any wider than the root edge thickness. The pencil alignment line was redrawn.

The centers of the BT-50 sections were marked and measured.
The fin centers were also marked.

It's simpler to set the center marks on top of each other when gluing on the fins.




While the instructions have you glue on the fins first, I glued on the lugs and standoffs.
I thought it would be easier to glue on the lugs first. It's easier to align them without the fins in the way.
There are four lug standoffs, two on each side.



The dowels are cut in two and glued between the two BT-50 assemblies.
I decided to spray them black, then cut them in two.
After fitting they are glued between the two BT-50s.

The dowels are held between my thumb and index finger for spraying.
There is a little space between the dowels. I can spray the upper half then roll the dowels between my fingers to the next unsprayed area.

I sprayed the upper 2/3rds and let that dry.
The dowels were flipped over and the remaining third sprayed.

2 comments:

  1. Wished I had thought of this before gluing the raw cut dowels into place.
    The instructions leave some details out. Clear pictures and diagrams, but sometimes not clear which goes with which number instruction! But survivable... Wish the instructions would not require you to cut them up for the shock cord anchors... I'd like to have them in a 3-hole punch to save in a master rocket notebook for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kirk,
    I usually scan any instructions that might be cut up for fin patterns or shock cord anchors. I'll then print out the mounts or fin templates on card stock for easier tracing. I've kept old instructions for years, they do come in handy later on.

    ReplyDelete