Sunday, June 23, 2013

Spray Paint Coverage Comparison


I was putting together a Quest Viper kit given to me by Lonnie B.
This is not a fancy model, I've made some enhancements coming up in a blog build.

I had a older unused can of the WalMart ColorPlace gloss white paint. I thought I'd play it cheap and try the $1.00 a can paint.
Here's the first coat over the sanded gray primer. It was almost transparent!
It would take too many coats to get a decent coverage.
I switched back over to the Rustoleum 2X.
Here's the same body tube after just one coat.

I'm so used to the Rustoleum 2X paint, I was expecting a little better coverage from the WalMart can.
I threw away the $1.00 can of budget paint.
You get what you pay for!

Note: I've had a few bad cans of the Rusto 2X. When starting a new can be sure to check the first few sprays on scrap cardboard. You might get some "cottage cheese" until the inside feed tube clears out.

2 comments:

  1. I have used that Wal-Mart paint myself before also. You really need to shake the holy heck out of the can when it is new or sat around for a while to get the pigment and base mixed together. I usually do so for at least 3 to 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lester,
    I do shake the cans, both used here were shaken for a while!
    I was just surprised by the difference between the two brands.
    If you haven't tried the Rusto 2X, it does require far fewer coats.

    ReplyDelete