Thursday, October 5, 2017

Estes Curvilinear #3231, Build, Parts 1, Parts


Here's another kit from the recent Estes clearance sales. Why build a kit from a sale? I would think many blog readers would have also picked this one up and it's waiting in their build pile.
Parts are of good quality. There turned out to be a few turns along the way.
I really like the design, except for one thing. The only recommended engine is the A10-3t. With any luck (and a bit of nose weight) I'll be able to fly it with 18mm A8 and B6 engines.


Parts of interest:
The decal sheet has white on it which is hard to see on the white backing paper.
The laser cut balsa is very clean, especially the slots for the ring tube.



That ring tube is very heavy walled. I thought it might be a BT-70 like the old Estes Sprite.

It's actually a 2" diameter tube like you would see in the Pro Series II models. (So far, this is the closest I've gotten to real Pro Series II parts!) A standard tube wall is shown on the left. The Curvilinear tube is on the right.

2 comments:

  1. I upsized to an 18mm motor tube - don't recall how much nose weight I added but it flies nicely on A8s. Though last launch the chute hung up and it lawn darted - no damage other than a muddy nose cone, sturdy little critter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      I hate being locked into a single engine, especially just the A10-3t. I'll probably use some B6-4s in it along with the A8-3s at the schoolyard launches. It's already finished, loaded and ready to go when I get back from California.!

      Delete