Sunday, October 1, 2017

Estes Scout Ship Nova Build #1392, Build, Part 8, Stickershock Vinyl Trim, TIP

The client bought vinyl decals from Stickershock. The original kit had yellow and green decals. The vinyl was yellow and blue, a better combination. On the backing sheet the yellow looked a bit orange.

I don't have a lot of experience with vinyl, so I'll take it slow and cautiously. There is plenty of border area on the sheet.
TIP: Never start with a large decal, practice with a smaller piece first.


If you haven't seen this type of vinyl before, it's sandwiched between two outer layers.
On the left the white backing is peeled off. On the right I set it on my knife blade for placement on the model.

With the clear piece over the top of the image it's easy to see the placement area.
Lightly burnish the vinyl decal, you don't have to burnish the clear border area.
The clear top layer is pulled up leaving the printed vinyl image.

7 comments:

  1. Mark does amazing work. I have his vinyl on many of my rockets, including my MDRM. He's a great guy, and I have never had better customer service, anywhere. *This is not a paid advertisement. The poster received no compensation for his words. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Metal and Neil,
      I was impressed by the vinyl prints and accurate cuts. This looks to be a good alternative to some water slides especially when you need a "decal" with a white background.

      Delete
  2. Ditto. When I received a wrong item ( 4" dia. Pac-3 decal instead of 2.6" ) Mark quickly sent out the right item. When I offered to mail back the wrong item he said no worries, pay it forward. So Chris, when you build the 4" Madcow Pac-3 kit, I have the vinyl waiting for you, free. My contribution to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer BAR!
      But, I don't normally do 4" kits . . . I don't have the room (or the money for big engines!)

      Delete
    2. How obvious is the vinyl thickness on this BT-50 rocket? Not too bad?

      Delete
    3. Hi Josh,
      It's not bad, the vinyl is probably a little thicker than a sheet of copy paper. There is an edge. Water slides are still my first choice for rockets up to a BT-60 size. On a BT-50 sized model I would prefer to use water slide decals.

      Delete