Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Odd'l Rockets F-104 Starfighter Build, Part 4, Intake Dressing


There will probably be a bit of the glassine layer that will flop back and forth like a hinge. It's like the thin layer left after you file your fingernails. Knock it off with some 400 grit and light sanding.
Here's the cut and contour sanded intakes.
They are both as consistent as I could make them.
Like most any other building step - Slow down, take an extra few minutes in each step. The time you take will be reflected in the finished model.



Here's the underside of the intakes.
Look at the rear left, the edges ended up wider for a smoother transition against the body tube contour.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job of feathering the ends of the intakes. I can see where taking that extra step will make a difference. I think most modelers, including myself, would take the easy way out and blend any rough seams with Squadron putty or CWF. Difference between a modeler and master modeler I guess.
    BTW I was wondering if you plan to come out with a whole series of fighter planes like the Centuri line? Any more in the pipeline? My vote is for the F4 Phantom II or the F15 Eagle. Recently completed a build of the OOP Estes Screaming Eagle #2117. Came across a small toy shop online that still had one left. Very happy with how it turned out, hope it flies as good as it looks. Laters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      For me, I'd rather get the joint seams smooth now. There would be less filling later.
      I doubt I'd do all of the Centuri Fighter Fleet models, maybe one more if sales continue. The F-4 and F15 would be my next pick if the series were to expand - good choices!

      Delete