Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Estes Curvilinear #3231, Build, Parts 9, Tape Reveal and C/G






The tape was pulled and the color separation was pretty good.




The ring was slid into place. The color separation is sharp between the ring and fin slots.


Here's why the engine mounts weren't glued in earlier. I have to find the center of gravity (C/G) of the model with 13mm engine mount in place.
With the 5/60 mount slipped in with an A10-3t engine, the balance point was 3 1/2" from the rear edge of the main tube.

The 18mm engine mount was inserted with a B6-4 engine in place. I doubt I would ever use a C6 engine in this rocket. Bits of cay weight were added and stuck on the outside of the nose cone until it balanced at 3 1/2" from the rear.
The total clay weight added to compensate for the 18mm engine mount was .16 oz.

8 comments:

  1. Did you glue the ring yet, or is that still to come?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      Coming right up! This was just a dry fit to see how it looked.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie,
      I don't know how brilliant it is, I'm just making it up as I go along! Won't be at the November ROCK launch, my daughter has a college thing that Saturday but, I will be going to the Nov. NEFAR launch.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to launch my Curvilinear tomorrow - I'll check the nose cone weight and try to figure out how much weight I added for the 18mm conversion. I have a hunk of BT80 tube lying around that might turn into an upscale version... not sure why but I find the design oddly appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      I'd be interested in how much weight you added for your conversion. Like you, I found this design "oddly appealing".

      Delete
  4. The nosecone, with added weight, coat of priner and one coat of paint, weighs 1 ounce. I didn't have time to launch but, if I can get moving before church, everything is ready for Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous,
      For the weight information. When you launch it, drop a comment and let me know the results.

      Delete