Saturday, February 3, 2018

ASP D Region Tomahawk Build, Part 1, Parts


I've always like the D Region Tomahawk, a clean looking sounding rocket. The first on I put together was the old Competition Model Rocket version. I remember (unsuccessfully) trying to emboss rivets on the upper bands.

This Aerospace Specialty Products kit should be much easier. Smaller with less detail, still capturing the feel of the real thing.

Parts are of great quality. My past experience with ASP kits have been very good. The ASP 18mm Corporal was a favorite build. That craft stick is used to apply glue inside the tube for the engine block.


Parts of interest:
The yellow engine block spacing tube.
Inside the tube is the rolled Kevlar and elastic shock cords.
1/16" thick laser cut basswood fins.
Fin attachment plate decals printed on white water slide paper.
WIDE, plastic streamer recovery.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a coincidence. I just received a replacement ASP DRT from Sirius Rocketry to replace one that landed on the road and got run over by a car a few weeks ago. Straight, high flyer on mini engines and spectacular streamer recovery. However, the streamer is a tight fit in the body tube, like the ASP Sandhawk. My Sandhawk's streamer didn't eject the last launch, so I'm considering cutting it down because it's so long. I'll be watching this build with interest (again).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like ASP kits. I agonist picked up a couple at the last Blast, but my builds pike is already too big, and now a Gyroc is looking good. Thanks for being an enabler, Chris.

    ReplyDelete