Monday, February 5, 2018

The BIG FIX, Dr. Zooch Saturn V Fairing, Part 1

Two years back I launched my Dr. Zooch Saturn V at the schoolyard with a B6-4. There was some coning during boost and it veered to the East. When I picked it up a fin and fairing were gone. It may have come loose during boost.
I didn't find the fin assembly and sat the rocket aside for a while.

I usually scan the kit wrap and fairing sheets before assembly. I found it on an external hard drive and finally got around to fixing the rocket.

Two fin fairings were printed, I'll use the best one to go on the model.

For a stronger fairing, the card stock fairings are glued around a BT-20 tube.
On the right is a split BT-20 piece to hold the fairing ends down as the glue dries.


The dried fairing tube was slipped over a used engine casing for support while cutting.

The yellow root edge area is cut out to allow the fin to be slightly inset.

No comments:

Post a Comment