Monday, April 1, 2019

Apogee SR-72 Darkbird Build Part 4, Small Fins, Launch Lug & Canopy

The smaller top fins are glued onto the BT-5 ramjet tube at an angle.
The approximate angle was sanded on the root edge with my sanding block.

I couldn't find the pattern sheet in the kit. There is some drawings on the instructions I scanned and printed.
The fins were glued on to the correct angle.

The launch lugs are glued onto the bottom of the BT-20. They are not directly centered but set to one side.

TIP: At one time I would use a launch rod to line up two launch lugs. I now use a bamboo skewer. It's about the same diameter and much lighter. The heavier rod can pull lugs out of line.
The canopy is also printed on the instruction sheet. This was also scanned and printed on 65 lb. card stock.

I assembled two canopies. I felt it was a little long so the length was trimmed a bit.

On the right you can see how little white glue was used to adhere it to the body tube.



The canopy isn't very high off the body tube but is easily seen on the finished model.

I slipped the nose cone shoulder into the tube for support when the canopy was pressed in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment