Sunday, April 7, 2019

Orlando R.O.C.K. Monthly Launch, April, 6, 2019

Central Florida had a good rain yesterday, but the field was in good shape by Saturday Morning. We had 41 paid flyers.
Our annual ROCK meeting was held after the launch at Roger and Bracha's house. Pizza, salad and soft drinks were served. Everyone appreciated their hospitality.
Brian Coyle will be stepping down as R.O.C.K. President after 15 years! As we find a new president, everyone will be stepping up and helping with set-up, break down, launch and RSO duties.




I finally got to try out a possible Odd'l Rockets kit, the STEALTH based on the old Estes kit.
Two stable flights with A8-3 engines to an estimated 275 feet. No damage except for a small snap-back dent.





Jim Lytle launched an X-Prize model, the Cosmos Mariner.

With a D12-3 engine it quickly went horizontal and nosed in the adjacent field. The model never had a chance to glide, the pop pod ejected out the back after it hit the ground.
After reading some reviews, others have seen the same result.







Here's probably my best launch shot to date!

Another X-Prize model, the Estes VANGUARD EAGLE with an Estes B6-4.
Textbook launch and recovery, estimated altitude of 325'.
April 2019 marks my 50th year in Model Rocketry!
In the eighth grade I looked over the shoulder of a classmate who was reading an Estes catalog. Something clicked, I knew this was the hobby for me.

I had built many plastic models, but they just sat on the shelf. These models flew! Rocketry was a way to participate in the Space Race, on a smaller scale.

I picked a BIG model to mark the occasion, a Micro Maxx Fliskit MACME SHREW! The little engine got it to 40' with a streamer recovery.




I gave Tom Dennon one of my Spaced Needle rockets to say thanks for all the work keeping the launch equipment clean and running. Another "Thank You" Spaced Needle went to Tom Tweit.





Parting shot -
That's Lonnie and Kirby launching one of Lonnie's Alpha models.

Also flown:
A Red River Rocketry RRR STARLINER was launched with a German made Quest B6-4. This model has a stabilizing tail cone and small fins. After 10 good flights it went unstable, now retired.
The new Custom SLV had a first launch with an Estes A8-3 to 250'.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris. Looks like a great launch session. Glad to hear that the Stealth performs well. Great pics! Congrats on your 50th year in this most excellent of hobbies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed,
      Anytime I launch a new design I get nervous with fingers crossed. I'll have to launch many more times with B6 and C6 engines (need a bigger field) before I even think about kitting it up.

      Delete
  2. Chris,
    I am feeling rather old, I just realized I hit the “50 years in model rocketry” about 5 years ago ... :-)
    By the way, has anyone ever successfully flown the Cosmos Mariner? I’ve got one in the bag, my son-in-law just found a kit when cleaning out his garage. I suggested we wait to find someone wanting one, and make them a killer deal on both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      That 50 year realization surprised me!
      I've only read about one good, gliding recovery with the Cosmos Mariner. I've seen two others nose in and crash.

      Delete
    2. That settles it, mine is staying sealed in the bag. :-)

      Delete