Thursday, April 4, 2019

Apogee SR-72 Darkbird Build Part 7, Elevon Hinge

The elevon hinge is a fibrous, almost transparent piece of cloth. I've seen this material before but can't recall where.

The instructions say to use CA glue but I was concerned that would make it stiff and possibly crack later on.
Because it is so porous, I knew white glue would work. I applied the glue and spread it out evenly with a Q-tip. I glued half onto the elevon first.


The other side of the hinge is centered on the back edge of the wing.

The picture on the left also shows the elevon stop pieces, the forward ones are glued in place.






I used the dihedral guide piece to find the correct start angle and set the rear stop piece.
The top picture shows the small orthodontic rubber bands hooked over the outside ends of the elevon stop pieces.
This picture has the pop-pod engine mount in place. The stop wing is holding the elevons flat, even with the surface of the wing.

In the lower picture the engine mount and stop ring are slid out the back. The rubber bands have raised the elevons.

No comments:

Post a Comment