Saturday, April 6, 2019

Apogee SR-72 Darkbird Build Part 9, Finished











This flat black paint ended up more like a satin finish. The dull black is more "Stealthy" anyway. The design works well, sort of a profile SR-71 style.
The only thing I don't like is the rough surface of the hinge. I'm sure it could be smoothed out, I just didn't take the time.

This small pop-pod glider operates like the Estes Sky Dart and original Citation Bomarc. Yep, the first Estes Bomarc did "glide". Later versions of the kit had parachute recovery.

Not much color and no decals on this one. Test glides and a launch await after they find a new NEFAR field! Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

  1. Turned out nicely. The flat looks more appropriate than the gloss anyway. And no decals included so no worries about adhesion.
    I glued my elevon stops unevenly, so one hinge lifts higher than the other. I'll just say "that was done on purpose so that it comes down in a spiral instead of sailing away".

    Heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous bird, Chris. Looking forward to seeing some launch pics.

    ReplyDelete