Thursday, April 23, 2020

Estes MRN Orbital Transport Laboratory Build, Finished




Well, this was a fun build. I had always wanted to build one since I first saw it in the Model Rocket News. I'm happy with the finished model.

Some observations: 
The dowel attached fins are hard to line up.
There is not much room for wadding, parachute and the nose cone shoulder.
Friction fitting! (I hate friction fitted engines)

The recommended engines are the OOP A5-2, B4-2 and C6-3. Empty weight of the finished rocket is 1.60 oz. My Odd'l Pigasus (another stubby model, close to BT-60 size) weighs 2.50 oz and flys fine with B6-4 and C6-5 engines. My first launch will use a B6-4.

11 comments:

  1. Great job and good choice for a build, Chris. As a kid, I remember wondering about that rocket, since it wasn't in the catalog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      Thanks - I thought it would be a different blog build. Hope we have a R.O.C.K. launch soon!

      Delete
  2. Very nice Chris! I`m designing a partial 3D printed version ATM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leo,
      Yep, if you could do a 3D nose cone (with window cut-outs) and nozzle it would sure improve the build.

      Delete
    2. Nozzle is complete :-) I might put up a thread on TRF.

      Delete
  3. As usual, great job! I have the parts bagged for this plan as well as the Apollo Earth Orbital Workshop, which is an almost identical design:
    http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/Model_Rocketry_v03n10_08-71.pdf
    (They are gathering dust in my build pile).
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      I remember getting that Model rocketry magazine and thinking the Apollo Earth Orbital Workshop design looked familiar!

      Delete
  4. Hi Chris!: WOW! This one looks really great! Glad you had a chance to fly it! I was struck by how small it is when I got the parts to build one!

    Sincerely,
    J.W.

    ReplyDelete