Thursday, April 30, 2020

Soap In The Decal Soak Water?

Over the years on TRF I had an ongoing  feud with a builder/flyer named John Lee. 
His forum name was  Micromeister. He build a lot of MicroMaxx downscales.
He knew all about LPR and MMX model rocketry. If you asked a novice (or silly) question, he'd let you know. He tried to put me in my place a few times.

The following is not meant as any disrespect towards Mr. Lee. I actually miss reading his responses.
On forum posts I sometimes see a recommendation to add a drop or two of dish soap to the decal soaking water.
Here's a TRF post about decals and detergent and a Micromeister response from March, 2015
______________________________________________________________________


The Question:
"I'm not certain where I got the idea that I needed to add a drop of liquid dish detergent to the bath, but I think it's on the printed instructions from Estes...who supplied the water slide decals with the kit. So they should know, right? I mean, they would know that these aren't vinyl stickers or not, right?"


Micromeister response:
"Good god man;
If they told you in the instructions to jump of a bridge would you? 
DO NOT put detergent in Water slide decal water. This Printed Error has been disproved for DECADES. Don't do it.
You may have seen this MIS-information in Estes instructions or from some of the other decal printing guys, Excelsor I believe Had or Has this mistake in their instructions he's been told many times about the error.

To be honest this all started DECADES AGO with the Plastic model folks. One of the giants of the time (mid 80's IIRC) Suggested a drop of detergent "Might" help.. Well that started the craze and it perpetuated itself On and On to this very day. you'll read this suggested in the premier Plastic Model mag Fine Scale Model. but the practice has been disproved over and Over these many years. On static models the lifting is not as pronounced as on our flying models. But reguardless of what model your appling decals to "Just Don't Do it"."

There it is, complete with John's misspellings. 

After he let you know he was correct, he'd end the response with "Hope this helps!"
Micromeister passed away in 2018.

TIP: This is one time I might agree with Micromeister by not adding a drop of soap to the soak water. I don't know if a bit of diluted soap allows the decal to slide around any easier. I've never found it necessary, just wet the location before sliding on the decal. 

The soap might just break down the adhesive on the back of the decal.

6 comments:

  1. At one point, I was dissolving about.½ a teaspoon of Elmer's white glue in my decal water. It seemed to work. But clearcoating over the top was easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have difficulties placing decals or moving them once on the model, utilizing Microscale "Micro Set" decal setting solution is an option many plastic modelers use. I've had good success with it on model rockets (along with their "Micro Sol" decal softener)-- although some manufacturers' decal formulations are very thin and might split or break when these products are applied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm not mistaken, the drop of detergent is not to make the decal more easily slid on the model surface but rather to act as a wetting agent -- i.e. allow the water to spread and penetrate more easily (through the backing and adhesive) through reduced surface tension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .. and by "drop" it means a *miniscule* amount -- like a drop per cup or pint of water.

      Delete
  4. Micro was well meaning but oh so arrogant. Notice nothing backs up his claim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. one of the strangest method I'd ever heard of was to use saliva to help the decal slide around more easily. Can neither confirm nor refute the effectiveness of this technique (as I'd never been tempted to try it myself).

    ReplyDelete