Friday, April 17, 2020

Estes MRN Orbital Transport Laboratory Build, Part 12, Paint & Fin Fitting



After a shot of filler/primer the body was slightly sanded.
Gloss white followed.

I noticed the exposed edge of the black centering ring didn't take the paint evenly. I added glue fillet over the black and shot the white again. This time the white covered evenly.

OOPS!
Eventually - it happens to all of us. Even with adequate drying time (48 hours) I had some wrinkling of the paint to the side of the launch lug!

I let it dry for a day and sanded it smooth with 400 grit. Waited two more days after that and shot the paint again. This time it was fine.
On to the decals and trim!


The fins were also shot with gloss white. I had to punch holes in the edge of some scrap cardboard to push the dowels in. This allowed me to spray gloss white on all sides.
The end of the dowel was left clean for gluing into the interior holes.



Here's how the fins should fit with the rear contact on the exposed ring edge. In a later post I'll show how the glue points are opened up for best adhesion.



To make an easier fit in the centering ring drilled holes, the ends of the dowels were tapered.

The fins were fitted in order from the launch lug going around the tube. The marks I, II, III, IIII helped me keep track of the individual fitted fin positions.

2 comments:

  1. I just had this happen to me on the Leo Space Train build. This is the first time this has happened since I switched to Rusto Professional. Such a bummer, does slows down the build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      This is why I probably won't recommend paint anymore. I was having great results on (maybe) 10 builds using the Rusto Pro White - then this!
      I still think it's better than the Rusto Gloss White 2X that sprays out like cottage cheese - without warning. I've tried too many different whites over the years. When things went bad, I don't even swear at it anymore. I just shake my head, let it dry and sand smooth.

      Delete