Saturday, October 31, 2020

Estes Asteroid Hunter #3224, Build , Part 1, Parts


Lots of new parts, some of the plastic pieces may to have been molded for just this design.
The main (internal) body tube is a BT-50. There are three clay packets for a total nose weight of 3/4 oz.
Four sheets of laser cut balsa! Many of the balsa pieces make up the internal body structure.

Parts of interest:
A small bag holds the white plastic detail pieces.
A good sized sheet of water slide decals.
Two card stock sheet "skins"
I understand new molds were made for the nose cone / nozzle piece. The shape is based on the nose cone used in the 1982 Attack Craft Orion and alsi used the more recent Cobra kit. 
To see the Older Orion design: CLICK HERE  

4 comments:

  1. If I'm not mistaken that nosecone was also used on the Python Fighter.
    One thing that I find interesting about the nosecone is the vague resemblance to the Y-wing (from Star Wars) cockpit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      You are right! A little more searching and I found the Python Fighter in the final 1983 Centuri catalog. By 1983, Centuri operations had moved to Penrose. I only knew about the nose cones in later Estes kits.

      Delete
  2. Yay, comments button is working again!
    Re the nose cone don't forget the Manta Bomber #1928.
    And it's a good sub for the Fliskits K'Tnga nose cone.
    Makes it look more Klingonish.
    Qapla'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bar,
      I knew others would find kits that used this nose cone. I was out of rocketry (married) when this nose cone was in other designs. Now that I'm single - I can research trivial things like this!

      Delete