Thursday, October 8, 2020

X-Acto Knife Sharpening?

You can sharpen a #11 X-Acto blade. 
I used to do it all the time on a sharpening stone and oil. The blade was usable, but not as sharp as a new blade.

I picked up a hand held knife sharpener on Amazon. This is actually a Sharpal Survival Tool. I like it because it is quicker and doesn't take up much space on my workbench. 

There are other features on the tool - a Ferro Rod for fire starting, a fish hook sharpener and an emergency whistle. I only ordered it for quick knife sharpening. 

Simply draw the blade through the carbide V notch a few times, then through the white ceramic notch.
It did a great job honing a dull #11 blade. It's not quite as sharp as a new X-Acto blade, but it does extend it's usable life.

My (cheaper) break off blade knife is still used most often, but once in a while you need an X-Acto style #11 blade for tight, precision cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment