Sunday, October 11, 2020

Launch! Soccer Field, October 10, 2020

The last three mornings I got up for a launch, there was either wind or light rain. Today the skies were clear with no wind!

I expected to hold down the launch button for a few seconds to launch the Fliskits MicroMaxx INTERLOPER. Ignition was quick and apogee was probably 100 feet. A narrow, short streamer brought it home.

The first launch of my Centuri VECTOR 5 clone blew out the engine hook! This time the Chinese made Quest Estes A6-4 was friction fitted. 250' estimated altitude with "parawad" recovery. The chute wasn't melted, it just didn't open. One loose fin and some cracked paint.



The Estes GBU-24 PAVEWAY III is a strange looking bird. It has multi piece fins that were tough to fill and paint. It is pretty banged up after six previous flights.

Today an Estes B6-4 pushed it to about 300' with full (old Centuri) parachute recovery. This one is now retired, scavenged for parts.






Here's my best flight of the day - 

Centuri ARGUS clone using a Q-Jet B4-4. Notice the gray smoke! 
These aren't as loud as an Estes motor. Instead of a hiss, these crackle a little.

Estimated altitude would be 325'. The original kit had two parachutes, I tethered the two long segments under a single 15" Odd'l chute. Textbook launch, no damage.





Everything was going well, until . . .

Here's the first (and last) launch of the recent Estes COLONIAL VIPER clone. 
I was expecting some "coning" during boost with the Estes B6-4 motor. There wasn't any wiggle but the trajectory turned a bit east. Maybe that angle cut of the nose cone deflected the airflow.


Ejection was outside the field and over the road. 
I said out loud: "Stay out of the trees, stay out of the trees!"

It snagged in the branches, 40 feet up!
I packed up and headed home, leaving the treed rocket. I walked back with an extendable pruner pole and ladder thinking that extra five or six feet might help reach the model.
No Luck! Oh well, we all lose a few along the way.
I hate losing models, but all the hard work wasn't in the build, but in the decal and canopy drawing. I still have those on file.

Five up, four recovered. Why couldn't the Paveway rocket got stuck in the tree? 

9 comments:

  1. Hey Chris!: Sorry to hear about the Viper! I wonder if adding a blanking plate over the hole in the nose cone and then just painting it black would obviate the coning?


    Sincerely,
    J.W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J.W.,
      I don't think it was the nose cone that could have caused the coning I've read about in other flight reviews. There is so much surface area on the low end and quite a bit of nose weight.
      The original kit had a nose cone with the tip end open. I have used a cover plate over an open nose cone before like on my upscale Teros. That could be done on this model.

      Delete
  2. Sorry about the Viper. That is too beautiful of a bird 5o have to sacrifice to the rocket gods...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      Losing a rocket here and there is just part of the hobby. Launching on the small soccer field I'm surprised I haven't lost more! 15 years of launching there and have only lost five -

      Delete
    2. That's a very good record!
      I'm standing at the loss of two gliders, one rocket, and a booster stage over 4 1/2 years.

      Delete
  3. Bummer on losing the viper....especially when you can see it and almost get it. I launch in my yard so as long as it stays in my area I have had really good luck. I actually cut down part of a tree to get another one as I was annoyed. (I have a LOT of trees that border my launch space)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mighty Mango,
      I have "trimmed" a few trees to get a rocket down, but this one landed too high up!

      Delete
  4. Just wondering... How do you hit the ignition button AND take a picture at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      If I am by myself,
      I have the camera in my right hand, set on "burst" at 2,500 of a second. In my left hand is the controller with the safety key in, continuity light is on and
      ready for launch.
      I count down from three - at one I press and hold down the camera shutter button and the burst pictures start running. At the word "Launch, I am already taking pictures, 7 per second.
      Usually there is two or three pictures I could use on the blog.

      Delete