Friday, October 30, 2020

Estes Asteroid Hunter #3224, Build Background

 

The Asteroid Hunter was available from 2012 through the 2016 catalog.
I remember seeing it in the Sport Rocketry magazine when it was being developed by John Boren. The magazine picture showed a prototype. This was one of the new Level 5 builder's kits. 
I was interested in building it, but was concerned there was only one recommended engine, the C6-3. Now with the new Estes C5-3 and 18mm Quest Q-Jets I started to track one down.

I found and ordered an Asteroid Hunter kit online from a School Supply Company. I never got a confirmation email. I waited for the package to arrive - nothing. My account was charged!
I called the bank, they followed up and got me a refund.

I kept an eye on some Ebay listings and bought the kit for a reasonable price.

I made a blog post about the failed mail order and heard from three different hobbyists offering to donate a kit to the blog. I was surprised and thanked them for their generosity.
Get ready for one of the more interesting blog builds!

4 comments:

  1. This kit is one of John Boren's instant classics that I think one day will be regarded as highly as classic sci-fi kits of the 70s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      I think John Boren likes to design laser-cut assemblies. This one reminds me a little of the QCC Explorer intakes. Those took quite a lot of filling to get smooth.

      Delete
  2. This was a great build. The masking and painting, depending on how it's chosen to be done, is challenging, to day the least.

    It was a great build for me. Unfortunately, one kid leaving it on a chair, and the other kid not seeing it before sitting down shortened it's life significantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      The masking will be a challenge.
      I'm filling the balsa and that is taking some extra steps.
      Years back, I left my first Ukulele on a chair. My Sister didn't see it, sat down and broke it up!

      Delete