Saturday, November 14, 2015

Estes Honest John, #7240 Build, Part 1, Parts


This is an exciting new release from Estes, the 1/14th scale Honest John. 
The main body is a BT-60 and it takes 24mm engines. Many were curious about the paint pattern. The only place I've seen it before was in the old Centuri catalogs.


Here's all the parts.
Lots of 1/16" thick balsa here! The fins are three ply laminates.

The parts of interest:
The wrap band is laser cut, the holes are purposely offset. The holes go to the top.
The centering rings have what looks like a small hole for a engine mount Kevlar tie! No Kevlar is included in the kit, maybe Estes cut the hole so the builder could add Kevlar if desired.
I wasn't expecting the motor retaining rings.
The BIG nose cone is well molded with a slight seam.

YORF Post from John Boren of Estes: "Read your build of the Honest John. The hole is in the upper centering ring because it is of a different size then the lower one. I just needed the builder to get the right ring in the right place.
John Boren

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, nice! I've been thinking about getting one of these. I gave my mini HoJo to one of my rocket camp kids, and was thinking of getting one of these bigger ones to replace it.

    I'll be watching this series with interest!

    ReplyDelete