Sunday, November 22, 2015

Estes Honest John, #7240 Build, Part 8, Fin Shaping



Look at the final picture in the last blog post. You can see the center line at the root edge isn't very defined. I could have sanded the fin thinner but I decided to build up the center line to make a sharper taper.
Some CWF filler was brushed on the center near the root edge. Don't get any filler on the inside root edge.



After it dried I went back to the block with 220 grit.
You can see the edge being formed. It's just a little higher that the balsa would have been.

Here's a shaped fin.
The raised center line now goes all the way across the fin.
The picture is a bit confusing, the darker area at the leading tip is a shadow, not sanded off filler.








I looked back at the laser cut fin sheet.
You can easily see the angle of the root edge, especially on the low end.

4 comments:

  1. All your builds are great, but this is particularly good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    In your opinion, would you characterize the fin shaping process as "enjoyable"? I understand the cool challenge of doing some of this stuff, but an hour of sanding per fin just sounds tedious to me. Obviously everyone enjoys something different. I also know I wouldn't be at all happy building that kit and *not* shaping the fins properly, so that leaves me kind of in limbo on this kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      For me it's enjoyable but years back there were some very frustrating first tries. I sand with the TV on and the time goes pretty quick. You don't have to shape the fins to the wedge shape, I just like the challenge.

      Delete