Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Estes Honest John, #7240 Build, Part 10, Lug Gluing and Band Wrap



The lugs were glued in place before the body tube was shot with primer/filler.







The laser cut band had small circles cut into it. You have to remove the circles by cutting through the hold down ticks. The problem is getting a clean cut of the small hold down tabs.
No matter how I tried I was left with small rough edges. I didn't really want to glue this onto the model. I wanted cleaner, round cut holes.
I marked off some 110 lb. card stock as accurately as I could.
Before punching all the way through the card stock I pressed the rotary punch just light enough to make a light circle impression. This way I can make small adjustments before punching the final hole.
Here's my first attempt had a few punches that were off. The picture has pencil marks showing the high punches.




More card stock and pencil marks finally gave me a more accurate band.
A third try gave me a usable piece.
I ended up making two by punching through two layers of folded card stock.

4 comments:

  1. It's pretty cool that you're getting a lot of mileage from that rotary punch. If you were travel back in time to some point prior to have purchased the rotary punch, then told your earlier self (who had not yet purchased the rotary punch) how useful the tool would become, would your earlier self believe it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      It's been a very valuable tool. I about ready to replace it, the cutting tubes are getting dull and I don't see how I'd be able to sharpen them.

      Delete
    2. I got one at Northern Tool and it was a cheap piece of crap, but it looks identical to yours. During my first few holes punched in card stock I bent it pretty badly. So either it was cheap, or I'm strong as hell. I'm guessing it was cheap.

      Delete
    3. Hi Joe,
      If your punch metal bent it must not have been a very good rotary punch. I've had a few over the years and never bent one. Maybe try one from a leather store? If it can punch through leather it should cut card stock pretty easily.

      Delete