Thursday, November 19, 2015

Estes Honest John, #7240 Build, Part 5, Fin Gluing

Here's how I set the glue down on the outside laminate pieces.
I wanted good coverage but not so much that the laminations could slip out of alignment when set under weight when drying.

EDIT: After painting I noticed some very slight lifting on the outside laminate on one fin side. Use enough glue to guarantee full adhesion. After the glue was applied as in the picture, smooth it out before bonding to the center core piece.




While the glue was still wet, the fin pieces were set against the tail cone. I was trying to see if I could coax a curvature into the root edge.
While the fins were being pressed into the tail cone the glue was warping the outside laminates away from the center piece.
I knew I had to get this assembly into a heavy book soon, before the glue started to set up.







I found this interesting -
There is a slight gap between the root edge and the recessed band on the tail cone. You don't see this gap in the instruction drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment