Sunday, December 6, 2015

Orlando R.O.C.K. Monthly Launch, December 5, 2015

Blow Ye Winds!
Wind gust up to 25 mph and light rains kept most flights in the A power range, for me anyways.
Some first timers put C6-5 engines into models but quickly lowered engine power after a few landed in the trees.
Before driving to the launch site I saw the forecast and threw a few smaller engine models in the box. Good thing I did or I might not have flown at all!



First up and wasted engine of the day was in the Odd'l Rockets SPOOL. With a C6-3 it was slow off the pad and quickly turned horizontal into the wind to a whopping 60 feet altitude. This one typically performs much better but the wind held it back.





My old ORANGE (an orange painted Quest Cobalt) was loudly boosted by a Quest A6-4. Altitude was an estimated 275 feet.
Normally the parachute will pull out of the nose cone but not this time. Even with just the nose blow recovery it was set down with no damage.






Tom Dennon had finished his carded Big Boy Retro.
To see the PDF, CLICK HERE
This is one of the better looking carded models, Tom did a great job on it. He was reluctant to fly it in today's wind, I don't blame him.





My Estes FLUTTER-BY had a first flight with an A10-3t engine in an adapter. I asked for others to follow one of the two sections after ejection. At ejection there was more than two parts. I guess I didn't glue the nose cone in. (Doh!) There was no damage but a little embarrassment and kidding after all the parts were collected.






Here's Danielle and Steve Moon with their Odd'l Squatty Body.
It had a straight boost even with the wind gusts with an A8-3.








Those who were still around at 2:00 p.m. helped break down the launchers. I picked up this used igniter from the grass.
I don't remember ever seeing an igniter like this before. The wire ends were melted into gray blue balls.

Three up, three down with no damage. Oh well! It was still fun to hang out with rocket nerds.

No comments:

Post a Comment