Thursday, December 3, 2015

Quest Kits and Parts To Be Made in the U.S.A.?

December1 on YORF, CTRRockets posted the question:

"I was in my local hobby shop looking for a kit and some engines and I asked for Quest engines. They told me they have been having issues with Quest kits and engines being supplied to them. I am curious, are they in a slow down with production? I rather enjoy their kits and engines so I am hoping this is temporary."

CTRRockets emailed Quest/Aerotech Directly and this is the response he got:

"No, there aren’t any Quest products that have been discontinued. We are working to source all parts domestically to avoid long delays in the future" 

CTRRockets added:
So it looks like you are all correct in that they are sourcing to manufacture their products in the US. Good to know. The only kit of theirs that my hobby shop has in stock is the Astra 1. A good little kit but I already have two. Have to substitute Estes motors for quest for now it seems.


There has been some talk about Quest bringing their kit and BP engine production back to the US. We'll see!

UPDATE from Bob Jablonski:
Talking to Charlie AT/Quest GM the new USA made motors are at NAR testing. Until last fall they had supply issues but it has pretty much been cleared up. Look for some cool stuff in the pipe line. Thats all I can say.
Mr. Bob

3 comments:

  1. I do hope Quest stuff gets easier to access. When I started in rocketry a little over a year ago, the Q2G2 igniters and motors were hard to come by - a real frustration for me, since I developed a real interest in trying clusters early on.

    The kits have never been an issue until lately. A few I'd had on my wish list are (temporarily, I hope) not available from JonRocket (my favorite site to buy from), and stock seems low on other sites.

    I'd to build a new Magnum Sport Loader, and the price on JonRocket was hard to beat (especially with free shipping on purchases over $40).

    In any case, since Quest isn't going out of business or ceasing production of those great igniters, I suppose I can be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've followed Quest's announcements over the years and no longer trust what they say. Their Q2G2 igniters are fantastic, and the only reason I can see as to why they are always out of stock must be a financial problem. They certainly know that they sell well. They made an announcement at NARAM probably 3-4 years ago about new motors that never made it to the market either. Their 'sale' to Aerotech makes sense in light of these problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      The Q2G2 igniters are made in China. They probably arrive by ship and got stuck in transit. Those composite engines are produced in Germany. I was told the manufacturer can't keep up with the demand overseas. It's too bad, I've met a few that have launched them and they say these are great engines.
      Keep an ear out for the next "Rocketry Show" broadcast. I understand there will be some new products announced in both Quest and Aerotech lines.

      Delete