Sunday, March 31, 2019

Apogee SR-72 Darkbird Build Part 3, Wing Gluing

As I usually do, all the balsa parts were filled with CWF before gluing the model together.

This balsa is only 1/16" thick. When one side is brushed with CWF it did warp. But after the other side was treated the balsa straightened out again.

The side view shows how straight the three piece wing is after smooth sanding.
To try and save weight for a better glide, I didn't spray the parts with filler/primer. That was probably a mistake as you'll see later on.


TIP: After gluing on the inner wing, I used my aluminum angle to check the alignment of the long wing piece.

Note the wings were glued on 1/2" forward of the end of the BT-20 tube.



The side BT-5 tubes are glued onto the outside edge of the inside fins. These are also spaced 1/2" from the trailing edge of the inside wing.

My sanding block was used as a flat surface to check the alignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment