Monday, March 11, 2019

Estes Black Brant II Kit #1958 Build, Part 14, Decal Placement

The Estes instructions show the decal placement using three pictures of the finished model. Each picture is rotated 120 degrees to the left.

I found the pictures confusing, almost as tough as the Mercury Redstone fin painting drawings. One problem - there are three fins on the rocket and four equally spaced vertical bars that have to be placed over and around the fins.
The instructions imply that two different tall bars are to be cut to fit over the root edges of the fins. Only one decal needs to be cut to fit, centered down and over the root edge.

The decals I used were from an old kit and brittle. I did my best to follow the illustrations and still got it wrong! Well, it is close anyway. I'll have to go back and correct some mistakes later.

I should have done this drawing before placing the decals.
If you would like a copy, Patreon supporters can email me at oddlrockets@bellsouth.net and request the - Black Brant II Decal Placement PDF
This is not meant for a decal print, just a placement guide.

With Estes reissuing the Black Brant II kit, this drawing might come in handy. The new instructions might be better.

EDIT: After I finished my drawing I did a search and found a placement pattern had already been drawn by K'Tesh (Jim). There was a thread on TRF about the Black Brant II in 2016. I wish I would have found this before I spent an hour figuring it all out!

No comments:

Post a Comment