Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Estes Black Brant II Kit #1958 Build, Part 16, Decal Fix



In the last post I mentioned these decals were old and brittle.

Trying to fit this lower vertical strip over the root edge didn't go well.

I printed up some home decals with many extra vertical strips. These would give me plenty of practice with new, more flexible decals.

I followed the same hole-punch (smaller hole and narrower slot this time) and the cuts down the sides. Punching the hole a bit smaller and narrower long slot gave a slight decal edge I could roll up onto the fin, over the fillet area. You do have to make sure and cover the white body tube at the mask line.
There was a glitch though, black home print decals aren't totally opaque. Set them down on white paint and they end up a dark gray!

I had to apply a double layer of the replacement decals to get a full, opaque black. You just have to be careful lining up both layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment