Monday, June 10, 2019

Estes Saturn V #1969 Build, Part 29, Assembling the Capsule


The instructions show two pats of clay supplied and pressed into the capsule. The kit supplies four pieces of clay.

GOTCHA: The kit supplies four pieces of clay. Estes is now recommending to use all four pats of clay.
Two of the clay pieces weigh just over 1/2 oz. Four pats of clay would equal 1 oz. of clay weight.
Here's two of the clay pats pressed into the capsule. Use all four!
Before I read the posts on TRF I was only going to use two pats of clay as shown in the instructions.

On TRF, There was a discussion about how much clay to use:
jnmiller said:  
"Question re nose weight... I noticed 4 pats of clay in my kit but the instructions only show 2 pats. Does anyone know if I should be using 2 pats or 4?" 
Secondrow wrote:
"I emailed Estes about this. They told me to use 2 pats like the instructions say. The other two are extras. However, my first flight on an E20 was a sky writer. I’ve since added the weight, but haven’t had the chance to fly it again."

On April 18, 2019 MJennings wrote on TRF:
"I recently emailed ESTES and they told me to use all 4 pats of clay"



The fit of the escape motor body tube was very tight in the top of of the tower assembly. To better fit the small tube, the top was rounded off with sandpaper.




Here's the finished capsule and tower assembly.

Notice the escape motor tube spirals were filled before assembly. CWF was brushed on the tube and sanded. Filler/Primer was sprayed and sanded.

Assembly time so far:
17:35 minutes previous
  0:15 minutes this post
17:50 Total so far

No comments:

Post a Comment