Friday, June 21, 2019

Estes Saturn V #1969 Build, Part 41, Masking For The Black

TIP: I wouldn't recommend masking and spraying the model in one sitting. It's simply too much work, you could find it overwhelming.
1. Mask and spray the reduction and third stage body as one operation.
2. Then mask and spray the bottom and fins.
3. Third, mask and spray the interstage wrap. The interstage wrap is probably the most difficult. By this point you've had some practice dealing with the corrugations.

You'd should have a whole, new roll of masking tape handy. You'll be using most of it.

TIP: I usually press the sticky side of the paper masking tape on my pant leg five or six times before setting it down on the model. With the fibers left on the tape it isn't as sticky and there is less chance of lifting the paint. I don't do this with Scotch tape edge masks. Because of the Sharpie outlines I won't be using Scotch tape masks on this build. Most all the masks are done with tan painter's tape.

Here's the easiest mask, at the top of the 3rd stage.
Notice how the tap overlaps the Sharpie ink by about 1/16". You will want to spray directly (90 degrees) over the tape, as you see it here. Do not spray from the top, bottom or from the sides - spray straight on.
The Sharpie outlines will help define a good, sharp color separation.
Here's the low end mask - it looks like a mess, but all the white areas are covered!
I'm most concerned with a good tape seal along the black inked borders. Double check the tape seal around the tunnels.

There is tape inside the open low tube end. Two wraps of copy paper cover most all the areas between the black band areas of the body.

Assembly time so far:
28:30 minutes previous
  1:30 minutes this post
30:00 Total so far

2 comments:

  1. I saw the suggestion of spraying gloss white. What about the black? Did you spray gloss black or flat black? (I might have missed the suggestion)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tomas,
      I sprayed gloss black also. Years back I made the decision to only buy gloss spray paints. If a build calls for a flat color, I just hit the gloss paint with flat clear.

      Delete