Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Estes Saturn V #1969 Build, Part 46, Silver Reveal and OOPS!




The silver was sprayed.
Look at the root edge of the fin. You can see where I lightly sanded  the liquid glue "fillet". The coats that followed covered it well.





Here's the reveal after the tape was lifted.
I had clean color separations, Whew!

The finish is much cleaner than the picture shows.
Then this!
While handling the model, I hit one of the fins on the back of a wooden chair. I didn't think I hit it very hard, but the root edge glue joint was loosened! The sides were still adhered to the flexible fairing skin.
It would probably be fine for flight, but I wanted it secure.

After thinking about the repair for a day, I decided to cut through the reinforcement card stock crescent to reach the back of the fin. A carefully placed drop of liquid cement was allowed to run down each side of the fin. From the back I brushed on more cement. It is solid now!

I printed up another card stock crescent, spray painted it silver and glued it over the original with contact cement. FIXED!

Assembly time so far:
33:45 minutes previous
  1 :00 minutes this post
34:45 Total so far

No comments:

Post a Comment