Monday, September 23, 2019

Old Rocketeer Rant - Part 1

Heck, when I was a boy - 

Did you have LASER CUT parts?
What's that? We had to cut out and trace a pattern, then cut out fins with a dull X-Acto blade.

ENGINE HOOKS?
We friction fitted and were happy to do it!

FINGER TABS?
Oooooh! You're a real rocket man aren't you.

PRE-ASSEMBLED PARACHUTES?
Heck no! Parachutes had to be cut out and tied up. Did you ever try to cut a straight line through a plastic sheet with Mom's good scissors? These kids today don't even know how to tie a decent knot!

Hobby Lobby DISCOUNT COUPONS?
Immediate purchase? I don't think so - We mailed one of Mom's checks and paid full retail. Then waited a week and a half for the mail order to arrive!

HOBBY STORE ROCKET DISPLAYS?
We'd buy rockets from a tiny line drawing in a comic book ad.

CARPENTER'S WOOD FILLER?
Fillercoat and sanding sealer was all we'd let near our balsa.

TAMIYA TAPE?
What in the Sam Hill? I'm not paying no extra for fancy yellow tape! We had one choice, brown paper tape.

PLASTIC NOSE CONES?
We filled the balsa, and got a bonus cheap high from Sanding Sealer fumes.

PLASTIC ESCAPE TOWERS?
You don't get your rocket man card 'till you've scratch built a Apollo Capsule tower from toothpicks.

TRI-FOLD MOUNTS?
Old School - Slit the tube twice, cut your finger then weave that bloody shock cord through the slits.

IGNITERS?
All there was, was bare Nichrome bent into a little coil. Cross your fingers and keep holding that button down.

LAUNCHERS?
A block of wood. Launch rod made from a straightened coat hanger.

PLASTIC FIN CANS?
Why I ought'a introduce your can to my boot!
I got more to say -

8 comments:

  1. Ha, ha, I never laughed so hard after reading this.
    Yep, yep, yep....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used to use a razor blade (the type used in dad's safety razor) - held carefully between thumb and forefinger. Had been doing this for a few years to do stuff like trim parts off the sprue tree in plastic model kits, trimming flash off the plastic parts, and cutting balsa for "stick-and-tissue" model aeroplanes -- and never accidentally cut myself. It wasn't until I finally got a proper X-acto knife, that I starting accidentally cutting myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      I did that too! When I was younger I didn't know what a single edge razor blade was - I did use a few layers if tape over one side of the double edged blade.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Chris,
    Thanks for the waff!
    Funny thing is, a lot of us old geezers still use some of those old-school techniques....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      I go back and forth between old and new methods. When I can I cut off those finger tabs!

      Delete