Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Pre - Hurricane Painting

I don't know what the weather is going to be like over the next day or so. I crossed my fingers to squeeze in a mask and paint before the wind picks up.

The one orange fin on the Mercury Little Joe was masked. As I was shaking a paint can it started to lightly rain! Ten minutes later that cleared and humidity felt low. The first orange coat was applied.
I wanted to spray again five minutes later, but it started to sprinkle again! Half and hour later it was clear and the second coat was sprayed.

I wanted to remove the tape masks fairly quickly.
TIP: You don't want to leave tape on metallic silver paint too long, it can mar the finish.
Luckily the paint dried quickly and the tape was pulled. The Scotch tape root edge masks came out very clean and sharp - Whew!
I masked the outside edge of the fin. The instructions don't mention this, but the real Little Joe was painted this way.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris!: Looks GOOD! What color orange did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      I was Krylon Colormaster Pumpkin Orange. I don't normally use Krylon, it was on sale and I gave it a try. In the past, other Krylon colors haven't had this good coverage. It dried very smooth.

      Delete