Wednesday, June 17, 2020

ASP MMX Micro Corporal Build, Part 5, Fin Gluing



A wrap around fin marking guide is on the instruction sheet. It wrapped and matched up! A rare thing.

The kit supplies a small plastic angle to draw pencil lines down the body tube.





The fins overhang the rear of the body tube by 1/8"



I extended the pencil lines over the back edge of the tube for easier alignment as the fins would be covering the rear of the pencil lines.

I used a very small amount of Beacon Fabri-Tac to tack the fins in place.

I wouldn't normally use CA glue for fillets, they can become brittle over time. I couldn't think of another available option.




A drop of CA was set on a scrap piece of cardboard. A toothpick tip was dipped in the wet pool of glue. The glue was transferred to the root edge, dragging the glue bead down the root edge.

Any excess glue was picked up quickly with a Q-tip.

2 comments:

  1. I use CA to attach plastic fins on MMX rockets. I guess we'll see if that causes issues in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      Two years after I assembled my Honest Goon, the launch lugs popped off right after ignition. Those were glued on using super glue.
      Hard to say if there will be any problems. After a few detail pieces fell off other models over time, I don't like taking chances. I didn't know what else to do with this one.

      Delete