Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Launch! Schoolyard Soccer Field, June 15, 2020

I doubt I'll be attending many group launches this Summer. I like visiting with everybody, but I can't take the heat! 
At a club launch I try to get there early enough to set up the equipment. After a few hours of launches and breaking things down, it takes the next day to recover! I went to the schoolyard early, while it was still under 80 degrees.

The Quest FLV is a perfect small field rocket with an Estes B6-4. Textbook launch with a bit of drift as the wind was already at 5 mph. Estimated altitude was about 275'.
When picked up I noticed the wadding was still inside. The engine was removed and the wadding blown out. You don't want any smoldering wadding left in the body.




My Estes GALACTIC TAXI clone was next up with a Quest A6-4.
Noisy boost with an altitude of 275'. The four second delay is just about right for this little rocket.








You can tell by the dark gray smoke it's a Q-Jet.
By now the rod was angled three or four degrees to the Northeast.
The Centuri ARGUS clone launched with a Q-Jet B4-4 to 325'. This was my best flight of the day.

I'm terrible at launch rod adjustments, but got it right today!
This one came right back to the launcher allowing me to catch it before it hit the ground. Yes, I caught it. (No grief needed.)
The toilet paper roll model, the HIGH ROLLER got quite a few positive responses when shown on the blog. I have submitted a build with templates to the NAR Sport rocketry magazine. Fingers crossed that it will be published. The picture at the right better shows the crooked bends in the main body.

Today it was flown with a Estes B6-4. Towards apogee I noticed a slow turn. Estimated height was 275'. The 12" parachute is plenty to bring it down safely.

I know - there is no glider on the Semroc MMX ORBITAL TRANSPORT.
I didn't test glide the small orbiter and noticed at the field the nose cone wasn't glued in place! You don't glue in the NC until weight adjustments from test glides are made. I was concerned I might lose the nose cone. The booster was already prepped for launch, I left the orbiter in the box.

First try, no ignition so I reset the igniter. The engine did light after the launch button was held down for about four seconds.
Boost was straight but not to 220' mentioned on the kit face card. I would estimate the apogee closer to 60 feet. The streamer ejected but didn't unfurl. No damage when picked up.

Five up, five recovered with no damage. Doing an early morning launch makes me feel like I've accomplished a lot by the end of the day.
EDIT: I just entered my launches into "My Flights" in the rocketreviews.com database. I've just exceeded 2019 launch totals and we're only halfway into the year!

4 comments:

  1. I really like the smokey propellant of the Q Jets, so I can't wait until they come out with the White Lighting versions. That's one of my favorite HPR propellants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      They are different and a nice change. Q-Jets sound very different during boost.

      Delete
  2. "Roll model." I see what you did there ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie,
      "Roll Model" would have been another good name for it. It says more than just calling it something like the TP-4.1

      Delete