Sunday, June 21, 2020

Older Centuri Kit - First Impressions

The first rocket kit I ever ordered was from Centuri.
Why didn't I order from Estes, like the other kids in the neighborhood? I liked the Centuri print ads better. The art layout was more visually appealing to me.

My first order was for the Centuri Javelin. (The fins and guides pictured below are from the Centuri Honest John kit.)
While watching a few Estes kits being assembled by friends, I did notice some differences in the way Centuri produced their kits.
The small notches at the top and bottom of the Centuri fin positioning guides made it easier to mark body tubes.
The fin alignment guides helped coax the fins to a 90 degree spacing. Both the guide pieces were printed on card stock, not 20 lb. paper.
Then there was the fins.
The cut lines were silk screened onto the balsa sheets. No cutting out of a template and pencil tracings needed. I do wonder now if the printed ink might bleed through a light color paint.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris!: Have to agree about the Centuri advertising! After becoming a BAR, perused all the old catalogs and flyers on Ninfinger's site, and the Centuri rockets just look SO COOL in comparison with the others.

    Sincerely,
    J.W. Hall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seconding you and Mr. Hall. I've been researching the "state of the rocketry world 1975", aka the things I could have found out when I was starting if I was given the right directions. WOW. One could almost feel cheated. But I got there eventually.

    ReplyDelete