Monday, June 22, 2020

Estes M.A.V. #7283, Build Part 1, Parts




Here's probably the most interesting of the "Beginner" rockets, the new Estes Mars Ascent Vehicle or MAV.
It has a Space X Dragon style nose cone and fins that look a little like upside down landing legs from the old Mars Lander kit. The tube wrap is already applied.
In the center are the three stickers that go on the lower fin can, placed between the fins. 
The yellow square is a clear sticker that goes over and reinforces the installed launch lug strip.
This one is heavy at 3 ounces! Somehow I would expect it to get higher than 250 feet on a C6-3 engine. The parachute seems large at 18" diameter.
This same design will be available in the "Colonizer" Starter set with red fins and nose cone trim.
Why feature a "beginner" build? There are some new manufacturing twists that make it very interesting.

10 comments:

  1. I'm tempted to buy one for the unique nose cone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      The nose cone is probably inspired by the Space X Dragon. Pre-painted and done pretty well. There is an installed nose weight.

      Delete
    2. I must admit that I'm guilty of having bought a kit just for one or more parts. A few that I'd bought just for the nosecone:
      Este Venom
      Space Racer
      Screaming Eagle (the one that looks like the F-15 fighter jet)
      Shuttle Xpress
      reissued Interceptor
      as you could probably tell, these kits feature a certain type of nosecone -- they're aeroplane themed.

      Delete
    3. Hi Naoto,
      I've never bought a kit just for the nose cone - but I have bought a kit with a "kit-bash" in mind.

      Delete
  2. I’m still most partial to the LEO SpaceTrain of the new Estes releases. The Mars Longship is another one if they can ever release it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      The Mars Longship is going to be released soon - I've already built three for Estes. The build will be on the blog.

      Delete
  3. The MAV is absolutely a target model for the just re-released C5-3s. The combination works very nicely.

    You probably saw my "build" thread over on YORF for this. I'll interested to see what you do (well, have done) with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernard,
      I Agree - there are many models I could see using the re-released C5-3 engine.
      I did search your forum posts. You and I both realized not to glue the fins on - no reason to do so. I envisioned packing the rocket in my range box and installing the fins at the launch site.
      On this "build" I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I will remind the builder to center the launch lug between two fins and some sticker placement points.

      Delete
  4. I thought Estes was supposed to come out with a Falcon 9 Dragon rocket, maybe that is what the nose is from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scigs,
      I have a feeling that Dragon 9 rocket was just set on the show display table. I haven't heard any talk about a kit release from Estes. Judging by what Space X charges for their (marginal) kits, the licensing costs may have been too much.
      That MAV nose cone looks a little like the Dragon NC, but not enough to start a lawsuit.

      Delete