Saturday, June 6, 2020

Estes Doorknob, #9720 Build, Part 9, Phosphorescent Orange



Trust me - DON'T USE THIS PAINT!

I've had mixed success with Krylon. I had terrible results with this.
It's hard to find day-glo orange paint. I found this at Michael's and bought two small cans.





On the left is the first mask for the day-glo orange.

The paint went on very rough and spattered. Usually flat paints go on pretty smooth.
I tried some light sandpaper to smooth it out before the next coat. THE PAINT CHIPPED OFF!

I used the back of a single edge razor blade to remove the paint. I didn't scrape it off, just pressing the smooth back of the blade chipped off all the paint! What a mess.

The same masking tape was still used again. The paint came off a little too easily.
I tried to find another brand of day-glo orange with no luck.

On a whim, I compared the Ace Hardware Store Rocket Red to the crappy Krylon orange.
There was no difference in color. The Ace Rocket Red is more of an orange - look at the comparison next to the can caps!
I ended up using the Ace Rocket Red on the model.

3 comments:

  1. The build looks great as always!

    I've also had bad luck with the small Krylon day-glo cans. Fluorescents are tricky but I like the Rustoleum the best -- they make an orange and a red-orange that are different shades.

    https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/fluorescent-spray/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't find Ace brand Rocket Red. Is it one of these Ace reds? https://www.acehardware.com/search?pageSize=30&facetValueFilter=tenant%7eA00413%3aace&query=red+spray+paint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thomas,
      The Ace Rocket Red catalog number is: 17050/17050A.
      The UPC number is 82901 17050.
      Two numbers are duplicated - so you should probably look for 17050 on the can.
      i did a search on the website - no luck! It might be a regional supply thing, available at some stores and not online. I wish ?I had better news, Good luck in your search!

      Delete