Sunday, December 5, 2021

Launch! Orlando R.O.C.K., December 4, 2021

The field was dry, winds were low and temperatures in the mid 70's.
Last month there was only four or five cars - today there was 20!
Lots of families and over 100 launches.    



My Goony F-16, the G-16 flew with a German made Quest B6-4 to 325'. I'd like to make a kit with this design but getting the appropriate nose cones would be tough.







Steve Moon launched his Estes Saros upscale. 
The lower body is a BT-55.
The nose cone, adapter and fin can were 3D printed from files drawn up by Leo Nutz.





Yet another test for an upcoming Odd'l kit, the CORKSCREW.
Today launched with an Estes B6-4 with the altitude close to 500'.
The model uses heavy walled BT-20 with streamer recovery. No damage on recovery.




Gary Dahlke launched his Graduator from the mid-power "away" pad.
Powered by a loud F32-5.
This is an older LOC rocket, re-built using blue tubes.

Check out the length of the shock cord!










And from the other end of the spectrum is one of mine . . . 
Made from toilet paper tubes,
The HIGH ROLLER flew with a C6-5.

Good altitude for a BT-60 sized model at around 500'. The body looks bent, the tube segments weren't glued in a straight line.
A slow spin going up, no damage at landing under a 12" chute. 







Rick Horn's Estes Shadow flew from the away pad.
A four D12-5 cluster launch!  
The five second delay was a little long . . . 












My Quest X-15 was boosted to about 325' using a Chinese B6-4.
Loud and very stable.
The body tube was extended about 2" in length and .30 oz. of nose weight keeps it stable.

The GALACTIC TAXI clone used an Estes A8-3. Estimated altitude was 225'.
I don't remember ever having a shock cord getting tangled around all four fins in a single flight. 



Also flown,
An MPC RED GIANT with an Estes C6-5. Textbook flight to 500'. 
Six up, six recovered with some damage due to the Galactic Taxi shock cord tangle.

6 comments:

  1. That is so cool to see my Saros files being flown at your launch event! :-) I'll post the decal sheet on Thingiverse in the next couple of days that I had drawn up so Steve can add some color to his Saros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leo. I can't wait to get the decals and finally finish it.

      Delete
    2. Hi Leo,
      I told Steve Moon that you might see this on the blog!

      Delete
    3. I was looking for a pdf because I thought I had redrawn the decal however this is not the case. Instead I used a scan which is adequate for the build. I've uploaded the decal on Thingiverse. For the correct scale "UNITED STATES" is 7.25 inches from top to bottom.

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris,
    It's always fun reading about the monthly R.O.C.K. launches. Mid 70's in December? Send some of that weather my way please!

    ReplyDelete