Thursday, December 2, 2021

Semroc Point, KV-58 Build, Part 1, Parts

EDIT: Towards the end of this POINT build I realized something was wrong. 
I wasn't able to finish it. So, until then - enjoy the ride!
_________________________________________________________________

I have a history with the old Centuri Point.
In the early 1970s, I tried to launch the Point with a B4-2 engine. The Point base is just about the same diameter as the blast deflector on my old Estes Electro-Launch. 
The Bernouli Effect took hold - the Point never left the launcher and ended up in flames. When the instructions tell you to launch with the base of the rocket above the blast deflector, there's a good reason!
I wrote Centuri and ended up getting a new kit and a Centuri B4-2 engine.
Centuri sent an engine through the mail, without a permit - to California!

Years back, I put together a Semroc Point before this blog was started.
Since then it has 6 launches - I might be ready for a new one. I hope to get a cleaner build this time.




The Semroc Point kit is in a larger than normal bag because of the shroud print size.
On the right, you can see the soft curve set in the shroud stock. 





There is not many parts to the kit. The shroud makes up most of the body.
The balsa fins are laser cut from 1/16" thick balsa.
The shock cord is 9 3/4" long.


Parts of interest:
From my two past builds, I remembered how difficult it was to get the canopy sticker to wrap evenly around the nose cone.

That motor mount tube has two 1/4" vent ports, one on either side of the tube. There's a concern with it - more on that later in the build.

4 comments:

  1. The build went okay, but getting the clips on the igniters was a major pain. I bet this thing sat through10 or more launches before it finally ignited. Great choice for a small field, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill,
      This build didn't go as it should -
      For the Point, I've got a good supply of the old Q2G2 igniters. They are long and make the clip connector much easier.

      Delete
  2. Have a Point fun flier but the tip of the NC always breaks off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,

      The nose cone tip on my old Point has also broken off. Same goes for the pointed Wac Corporal NCs.

      Delete